Town of GermantownOffice Website of the Town of Germantown, Juneau County, WI
Give a gift that keeps giving: ten Firewise tips for AFTER the holidays
Explore giving gifts after the holidays that will have value beyond the day or short term. What greater long-term value than making improvements to your home and landscape, ensuring that what you hold dear to you will be safe.
If you made a list this year for your gift giving and checked it twice, some simple Firewise improvements that you can make while preparing your home for the season are:
- Cleaning out gutters while you take down your lights.
- Trimming up bushes and small trees when you take down your lights.
- Cleaning out under the deck while you are taking down the swag.
- Cutting branches away from the chimney before you burn the yule log. While you are at it, clean the chimney before you use it.
- Taking care to clean that first five feet away from the home, including human treasures such as pieces of construction materials that you know you’ll use someday. The shed is a good place to store those. Check out the Firewise Landscaping and Plants List to help you make better plant choices in this area.
- Share the holiday cheer by volunteering to assist a neighbor who needs and wants help cleaning up.
- Wrap up some sturdy garden tools to use for yard work. You can take a free online course to learn about Firewise Landscaping.
- Did Santa know how to find you? Do you have a clearly posted address sign?