Town of GermantownOffice Website of the Town of Germantown, Juneau County, WI
Regular Town Board Meeting
Town of Germantown Town Hall
N7560 17th Avenue
New Lisbon, WI 53950
April 14, 2009
Town Officials Present: Chairman William Jax, Supervisors Rosetta Boyle, Steve Gillespie, Michael Poe, and Dave Specht.
Town Official Absent: None.
Others Present: Clerk/Treasurer Betty Manson, Assistant Clerk/Treasurer Marion Uphoff, Emergency Management Director Fred Cobbs, Assistant Public works Worker Gary Ernsting, and 8 guests.
Call Meeting to Order
Jax called the regular monthly board meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance
Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all present.
Verification of Proper Posting
Manson verified that this meeting had been properly posted at 3 locations and published in “The Messenger” on April 9, 2009.
Oath of Office
Manson gave the oath of office to the newly elected officials William Jax – Town Board Chairperson, Michael H Poe – Town Board Supervisor, and Steven Gillespie – Town Board Supervisor.
Approve Agenda in Any Order
Motion by Boyle to approve the agenda as presented, 2nd by Specht. Motion Carried.
Motion was made by Boyle to approve the minutes of the public Hearing held on March 10, 2009, – A Request for a Variance from David Lulich for a Holding Tank located at N6994 State Road 58, New Lisbon, WI (Lulich Landscaping, LLC), 2nd by Gillespie, Motion Carried. Motion by Boyle to approve the minutes of the Special Board Meeting held on March 10, 2009, 2nd by Poe. Motion Carried. Motion by Boyle to approve the minutes of the regular monthly board meeting held on March 10, 2009, 2nd by Poe. Motion Carried.
Treasurer’s Report, Bank Reconciliation Report, Buckhorn Acres Property Owner’s, Inc./Morro’s Mile Inc. Report
Manson read the monthly financial statement. Outstanding checks totaling $629.18. Poe stated he has reviewed and reconciled with the bank statements and is in agreement. Motion was made by Poe to approve the treasurer’s and reconciliation reports as presented, 2nd by Specht. Motion was made by Poe to approve Morro’s Mile Inc Financial Report, dated April 30, 2009: balance $2,464.25 and Buckhorn Acres Property Owner’s Inc Financial Report dated April 30, 2009 balance $1,729.97, 2nd by Gillespie. Motion Carried.
Election Wage Increase
Jax stated that the Election Inspector wage increase was put into the budget, but had been overlooked. Motion by Jax to increase the Election Inspector’s wage as follows: Chief Election Inspector – $8.00/hour and Election Inspectiors – $7.50/hour, 2nd by Boyle. Motion Carried.
- Law Enforcement Report – VISA Bar Jax reported there had been a Law Enforcement Meeting. At this meeting summer hours were discussed and the possible need for a new Visa Bar due to the current one being obsolete and it is very hard to get parts. Motion by Jax to approve a new Visa Bar for Officer Green’s squad car not to exceed $900.00 installed, 2nd by Specht. Motion Carried.
- Emergency Report EM Director Cobbs reported that he is currently setting up a meeting with Oakdale Electric/Lemonweir Telephone to see if the Town can get electric/phone service at the Old Town Hall site on County Road G – the highest location within the township. This would be a good spot to set up an alternate EOC in case the town Hall/Community Center would be incapacitated. Cobbs also reported that he attended a meeting regarding “Wildfire” and this area now has a name – “North East Juneau County Wildfire Plan”. He requested the area neighborhood associations take part in the next meetings. Cobbs also thanked Specht for reporting the potential wild fire at the Town Dump. Cobbs is also working on a grant for the radios.
- Park Report – Town Hall/Community Center Water Problem Boyle stated that there is nothing to report regarding the Park. She stated Don’s Plumbing has repaired the vent problem at the Town Hall/Community Center. Jax stated the bids for the rest of the plumbing work will be put out soon.
- Roads Report – Wiley Lane Relocation Specht stated that Wiley Lane is an unimproved private road. A landowner wants to move road approximately 30′ west of current location to alleviate the problem of traffic traveling too close to their private well. Specht also stated there is no problem entering on 38th Street where the proposed road would be. Motion by Specht to approve proposed new location of Wiley Lane/38th Street and also authorizing the Town to erect a stop sign there, 2nd by Poe. Motion Carried. The town road tour date is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 25, 2009 at 8:00 a.m. Jax had received a call from Joe at the State Park stating Water Street is impassable due to vehicles being parked on both sides of that road. Jax had the Town Workers erect 3 “No Parking” signs on the North side of Water Street.
- Building – Hiring Architect Jax reported that the building committee had met with Larry Koopman – Town’s Engineer in regards to the proposed new Public Works Building located at N7645 17th Avenue near the current Town’s Storage building. Koopman proposed the architect’s fees would be between $40,000 – 50,000, including concept plan, preliminary plan, site plan, preliminary floor plan, state inspections, completion statements, and etc. Motion by Poe to accept Lampert, Lee & Associates as the Architect for the proposed new Public Works Building and 3-sided sand/salt storage building not to exceed $50,000, 2nd by Gillespie. Motion Carried.
Zoning Administrator’s Report – Ordinance #34, Public Nuisance Ordinance
Manson read the zoning administrator’s March 2009 report: 8 building permits issued (9-04 – 9-11) for a total of $1,100,00. Specht would like Ordinance #34 tabled, due to the absence of the Zoning Administrator. Motion by Specht to table Ordinance #34, Public Nuisance Ordinance until the next board meeting, 2nd by Boyle. Motion Carried.
Resolution 2009-03 Prevailing Wage Law Changes
Poe read Resolution 2009-03 – Prevailing Wage Law Changes. Motion by Specht to adopt Resolution 2009-03, Prevailing Wage Law Changes, 2nd by Gillespie. Roll Call taken by Manson: Specht – Aye, Boyle – Aye, Poe – Aye, Gillespie – Aye, and Jax – Aye. Motion Carried.
Motion by Boyle to approve 61 checks #13796 thru #13860 & EFT 4-09 and service charge, totaling $40,338.67 from the checking account; 4 checks #13808, #13810, #13509, $ #13815 Voided, and #593, totaling $40,000.00 from the money market account, 2nd by Poe. Motion Carried.
Closed session as per state statute 19.85 (1)(C) considering employment, promotion, compensation, or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility
Motion by Jax to go into closed session per state statute 19.85 (1)(c) Considering employment, promotion, compensation, or performance evaluation data of any public employee over which the governmental body has jurisdiction or exercises responsibility at 7:33 p.m., 2nd by Boyle. Roll Call taken by Manson: Specht – Aye, Boyle – Aye, Poe – Aye, Gillespie – Aye, and Jax – Aye. Motion Carried.
Reconvene in Open Session as per state statute 19.85 (2)
Motion by Gillespie to reconvene in open session as per State Statute 19.85 (2) at 7:50 p.m., 2nd by Specht. Roll Call taken by Manson: Specht – Aye, Boyle – Aye, Poe – Aye, Gillespie – Aye, and Jax – Aye. Motion Carried.
Any Business Transaction From Closed Session
Motion by Jax to increase Assistant Public Works Worker Gary Ernsting’s wage to $13.00/hour (an 8% increase), 2nd by Gillespie. Motion Carried.
G Thompson questioned why the Town pays for equipment for the squad car, if the car is property of Juneau County. A Suehs questioned if the Town is aware of property owners renting out their homes, and if so what are you doing about it? K Korbein is against a new ordinance, this may be regulated under a Conditional Use Permit. Juneau County Sheriff’s Department will respond to your calls if there is a problem. D Simonson stated that the covenants in their association don’t address this problem. G Thompson stated that the Town could issue tickets using current ordinances. J Collis stated that DNR has issued a Red Flag Alert due to the area being extremely dry.
Motion by Specht to adjourn the regular monthly town board meeting at 8:10 p.m., 2nd by Boyle. Motion Carried.
Chairperson Jax declared the regular monthly town board meeting adjourned.
Respectfully submitted, Betty Manson, Clerk/Treasurer