Town of Germantown

Office Website of the Town of Germantown, Juneau County, WI

Emergency Management

Emergency Management Director:

N7670 17th Ave
New Lisbon, WI  53950
(608) 562-5761

Emergency Management Assistant:
Chris Leopold
N7670 17th Ave
New Lisbon, WI  53950
(608) 562-5761

The information posted here is to help residents in the Town of Germantown.  It contains information describing Emergency Planning, Tornadoes and Wildfires, including potential risks, what to do in order to prepare for a possible event, as well as what to do during and after an event.

Emergency Management – Prepare Now Evacuation Plan


Evacuating the Special Needs Poplulation 

Emergency Management – Special Needs Form


The source of the information comes from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which you can find online at

FEMA Basic Preparedness (1.1 MB)

Wisconsin COVID-19 Coronavirus Information

Please refer to the website for additional information and update:


Download a FEMA Fact Sheet for Tornadoes

What to do Before a Tornado:
Be alert to changing weather conditions.

  • Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information.
  • Look for approaching storms
  • Look for the following danger signs:
    • Dark, often greenish sky
    • Large hail
    • A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if rotating)
    • Loud roar, similar to a freight train.

If you see approaching storms or any of the danger signs, be prepared to take shelter immediately.

Download FEMA’s Avoiding Wildfire Damage: A Checklist for Homeowners

If you see a wildfire, call 9-1-1. Don’t assume that someone else has already called. Describe the location of the fire, speak slowly and clearly, and answer any questions asked by the dispatcher.

Before the Fire Approaches Your House

  • Evacuate. Evacuate your pets and all family members who are not essential to preparing the home. Anyone with medical or physical limitations and the young and the elderly should be evacuated immediately.
  • Wear Protective Clothing.
  • Remove Combustibles. Clear items that will burn from around the house, including wood piles, lawn furniture, barbecue grills, tarp coverings, etc. Move them outside of your defensible space.
  • Close/Protect Openings. Close outside attic, eaves and basement vents, windows, doors, pet doors, etc. Remove flammable drapes and curtains. Close all shutters, blinds or heavy non-combustible window coverings to reduce radiant heat.
  • Close Inside Doors/Open Damper. Close alt doors inside the house to prevent draft. Open the damper on your fireplace, but close the fireplace screen.
  • Shut Off Gas. Shut off any natural gas, propane or fuel oil supplies at the source.
  • Water. Connect garden hoses. Fill any pools, hot tubs, garbage cans, tubs or other large containers with water.
  • Pumps. If you have gas-powered pumps for water, make sure they are fueled and ready.
  • Ladder. Place a ladder against the house in clear view.
  • Car. Back your car into the driveway and roll up the windows.
  • Garage Doors. Disconnect any automatic garage door openers so that doors can still be opened by hand if the power goes out. Close all garage doors.
  • Valuables. Place valuable papers, mementos and anything “you can’t live without” inside the car in the garage, ready for quick departure. Any pets still with you should also be put in the car.

Preparing to Leave

  • Lights. Turn on outside lights and leave a light on in every room to make the house more visible in heavy smoke.
  • Don’t Lock Up. Leave doors and windows closed but unlocked. It may be necessary for firefighters to gain quick entry into your home to fight fire. The entire area will be isolated and patrolled by sheriff’s deputies or police.


Madison, Wis. – In the confusion following a disaster, rumors, half-truths and misunderstandings about federal and state assistance can cause some storm-struck residents to miss out on much-needed help.

“The last thing you need in a disaster is misinformation,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Dolph Diemont, “and the best way to avoid that problem is to call and ask about assistance yourself.” As federal coordinating officer, Diemont heads up the U.S. government’s side of the disaster response and recovery efforts in Wisconsin.

Misinformation may deprive eligible individuals, households and business owners of vital aid from the state of Wisconsin and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

“Although our neighbors and fellow workers may believe they have the right information regarding disaster recovery, it is incomplete,” said Wisconsin Emergency Management Administrator Johnnie Smith. “Don’t rely on the word on the street. Call, go online or visit a Disaster Recovery Center and register for assistance. ‘I’his is the right source of information on the help that may be available to you.”

Anyone with damages and losses caused by the June severe storms, tornadoes and flooding can apply for assistance by calling 800-621-3362 (FEMA). 800-­462-7585. are open 24 hours a day. Both telephone lines, as well as online registration.

Here are some of the most common misconceptions:

  • I called my county emergency management director and reported my damages and losses, so I’m registered for federal and state disaster assistance programs. Not True: separate call to PEMA is needed to register for federal and state programs. The call to a county emergency management director was to help locate areas affected by the June storms that may have been overlooked in the first preliminary damage assessments.
  • I have insurance, so there is no other help available. Not True: FEMA will not duplicate insurance benefits, but you may be eligible for help with losses not covered by your insurance. That’s why it is important to register for assistance even while you are working with your insurance company to assess your insurance coverage.
  • I have to wait for my insurance adjuster before I apply for disinter assistance. Not True: Don’t wait for an adjuster before applying for aid or making repairs needed to make your house livable. Follow your policy guidelines and keep your receipts.
  • I already repaired my home. I don’t need to apply. Not True: You might qualify for reimbursement of expenses not covered by insurance. Keep your receipts.
  • I got help from the Red Cross, so I’m already registered with FEMA. Not True: Registration with the Red Cross is not the same as registration with FEMA. For federal and state disaster assistance, you must apply by calling 80062I-FEMA,(TTY) 800-462-7585 or online at .
  • got help from the Red Cross, so now can’t get help from FEMA or the state. Not True: FEMA and the state coordinate a number of programs to help disaster victims. These programs are different from the emergency food, clothing and shelter initially provided by the Red Cross and other voluntary agencies.
  • I have to be poor to qualify for disaster aid. Not True: The kinds of help provided depends on each applicant’s circumstances. Federal and state disaster assistance programs may be available to those with damages, regardless of income.
  • I have to be turned down by my bank before Not True: If you live in a declared county, you are eligible to apply for a low-interest disaster loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). If SBA cannot approve your loan application, you may be referred to other agencies for additional assistance, but that can’t happen if you don’t return your application. I can apply for a disaster loan.
  • I must own a business to apply for Not True: The SBA low-interest loan is the primary source of federal assistance for long-term recovery for homeowners and renters as well as business owners. SBA covers uninsured or underinsured losses for real estate and personal property damage for homeowners and renters a loan from the SBA.
  • I rent an apartment. Not True: Several types of assistance are available to renters. One grant may help them with temporary housing needs if they have to move because of disaster damage or loss. Another grant may be available to an eligible individual or family with serious, disaster-related needs and necessary expenses not covered by insurance or other disaster assistance programs. SBA also may be able to help renters replace damaged or lost personal property with a. low-interest disaster loan. I can’t get help.
  • I’m self-employed and out of work; I can’t qualify for disaster unemployment benefits. Not True: Disaster Unemployment Assistance, funded by FEMA and administered by the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development (WDWD), provides benefits for workers who normally would not qualify for unemployment compensation. These include farmers, farm workers and those who are self-employed and are out of work due to the disaster. Anyone interested in filing for disaster unemployment assistance should visit the nearest WDWD office.

FEMA coordinates the federal government’s role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror,